Summer, the season of blue skies and sunshine. Longer days and lazy evenings. Eating al fresco and outdoor entertainment. And yes, the British summertime can sometimes be a bit unpredictable. But this year is shaping up to be one of the best, with plenty of sunshine to lift spirits and boost wellbeing; just one of the reasons why summer is such a special season. But there are lots of other reasons too…
Our top ten things to love about summer:
- Flowers. There are blooms in abundance at this time of year, with colour to be found in parks, gardens and open spaces all over the country. Somewhere else which is alive with colour is our Open Skies Glass House where our horticultural experts are busy caring for our plants. Whether you’re looking for flowers to match a particular colour scheme, for attracting the wildlife or flowers for scent our experts are here to help.
- Flip Flops. Or sandals, or sarongs, or any clothing which feels free and easy to wear. No need to wrap up in layer upon layer, but rather enjoy loose cottons and lovely linens for a fresh feeling in the warm weather. Our Clothing Department has stylish shoes and summer fashion from ranges such as Joules, Sea Salt and White Stuff with some fantastic seasonal offers available in store*.
- Festivals. Whether it’s a classical concert culminating with a spectacular firework display or a weekend away with your favourite bands, summer is definitely the time to enjoy live music in the outdoors. And although the sun is shining as we write this blog, festivals can be known for their muddy conditions so a visit to our Clothing Department might be useful, to stock up on ponchos and wellies…a festival favourite whatever the weather!
- Fresh fruit. Whilst some seasons call for a warming hotpot or comforting stew, summer is definitely the season to enjoy fresh fruit. British strawberries with clotted cream is a firm favourite, especially during the Wimbledon weeks, but we also love a juicy melon, orange or mango either freshly cut or mixed into a fruit salad. Visit our Food Hall to stock up on some of the seasons freshest flavours.
- Eating Al Fresco. Whether you’re a gas convert or a charcoal connoisseur summer is the season for barbecues and outdoor entertaining so make sure your BBQ is ready to go for those impromptu get-togethers. And if you’ve not been to Honeywell’s yet, our in house butchers, then we’d definitely recommend a visit. You will be spoilt for choice with the delicious range of flavoursome BBQ food, all freshly prepared and ready to go.
- Sandcastles. Who doesn’t love building a sandcastle? We’re lucky to live where we do as a trip to the seaside never takes too long. But even better is our very own Indoor Beach, right here in our Open Skies Glass House. A firm favourite with the little ones who love to use our buckets and spades to build their sandcastles and before knocking them down and starting all over again
- Ice Cream. A true taste of summer. Everyone has their favourite flavour, whether its traditional vanilla, mint choc chip or rum and raisin, they all make a delicious treat on a hot summer’s day. And here at Bents our you’ll find our Food Hall stocked with tubs of home-made ice cream from Daresbury Farm, perfect for popping in the freezer at home and enjoying at your leisure.
- Picnics. There are so many reasons to pack up a picnic. As a much-deserved treat after a long walk in the country; a celebratory a get-together with friends and family or for a romantic getaway in a hidden location. Our Food Hall is full of delicious treats and titbits and we’ve already put together some tasty ideas for National Picnic Week so take a look if you’d like some more inspiration for the perfect picnic.
- Camping. Escape the hustle and bustle of daily life and spend a few nights chilling out in the countryside. Go solo or with a group of friends or family and enjoy living life under the canvas and waking up to enjoy a brew with a view. Our Trespess|Nevisport store has all the equipment you’ll need for the perfect camping trip from tents and sleeping bags to stoves and seating.
- Making Memories. Whatever you choose to do this summer, above all else make sure you make some memories to remember. Grab that phone and record your adventures. Share on social media and create photo books to look back on and reminisce about all the fun you had during the Summer of 2018.