FROM GREEN FINGERS TO GREEN ISSUES WE’VE GOT IT COVERED…..
Powered by our principles we have identified key areas where we as a business can make a difference to the world around us; helping to maintain sustainability and making it a better place to be.
We believe passionately in our surroundings and have a vision of a healthier, happier and greener future. If we all take small steps, together we can achieve a bigger goal……
We are committed to our Green Footprints and are constantly reviewing and researching new opportunities for improvement. We aim to reduce our own carbon footprint and by growing almost 60% of our plants at our own on-site nurseries we have cut our transport requirements; another small step in helping the environment and the world around us.
We’re committed to the 3 Rs; Recycling, Reducing and Reusing:
- We recycle our plastics, glass, paper and cardboard and encourage our customers to do the same, with fully recyclable bags, biodegradable boot liners and customer recycling facilities on site.
- All non black plastic plant pots and trays can be recycled and customers are encouraged to do this by using their own council pavement collections or by returning them to our recycling station. We also can recycle black plastic pots from customers by sending them back to our supplier.
- We recycle and compost all the green waste from our growing nursery which is used for soil improvement, mulching or as planting material. We actively encourage our customers to do the same through the promotion of our compost bins.
2: WATER EFFICIENCY
To help maintain sustainability for our future generations we operate a highly efficient and self-reliant water recycling programme:
- Our 3.5 million gallon reservoir has been helping reduce our impact on the environment since we built it in 1976.
- All rain and run off water from throughout the Centre and car parks is collected in the reservoir.
- Water in the reservoir is filtered and re-used for watering the plants on our growing nurseries and plant area.
3: HEALTHY LIVING
Keeping fit and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be achieved in many ways. We encourage our customers to discover what’s right for them and help them reap the rewards:
- Research shows that gardening provides a great form of all-round exercise, which utilises all major muscle groups. We encourage our customers to spend time in the garden which helps reduce stress levels.
4: SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
We always look for opportunities to support our local community and work with them to maintain a strong and healthy society:
- Wherever possible we support schools and local initiatives, particularly those which involve outdoor activities.
- Every year a different charity is chosen to be the ‘Bents Charity of the Year’ and we raise funds through various activities.
- We actively support many good causes throughout the year and take part in nationwide initiatives such as the Macmillan Coffee Morning and Comic Relief.
5: TRADING FAIRLY & RESPONSIBLY
We believe in trading fairly and responsibly with all of our suppliers from local sources to those further a field:
- Where possible we buy from local suppliers and are looking at ways of increasing relationships to improve the quality of our supply chain throughout the Centre.
- Through events such as our Ladies Evenings and Meet the Makers we invite and support local companies to attend and showcase their products here at Bents.
- Many of our garden furniture and landscaping products are sourced from sustainable sources and we are working with our suppliers to ensure future FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) recognition or a similar accreditation on all appropriate products.
6: PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT
Changes in the way we live and modern lifestyles can have an effect on natural habitats. We are committed to seeking out initiatives which will help redress the balance:
- We have already planted over 5 acres of land with indigenous local trees which are providing food and habitat for wildlife and as part of our 10 year vision to help improve land surrounding the Centre we have also planted over 1000 saplings.
- With much of our indigenous wildlife under threat we actively promote ways in which our customers can provide habitats to encourage wildlife back into their gardens.
- We are committed to helping achieve the national peat reduction targets, wherever possible sourcing peat free or peat reduced products from our suppliers. We also encourage the use of alternative soil improvers such as organic fertilizer, chicken poultry manure, home compost bins and our complimentary coffee granule station.